A-Z of Personnel

Search By Surname

Margaret Fairle

Date of Bith: 1891
Place of Birth: Arbroath

Margaret Fairlie was born in 1891 to Mr and Mrs James Fairlie and grew up at West Balmirmer Farm, Angus. From 1910 to 1915 she studied at University College, Dundee at the University of St Andrews Conjoint Medical School. After graduating MBChB, she held various medical posts in Dundee, Perth, Edinburgh and Manchester, before coming back to Dundee in 1919 where she ran a consultant practice for gynaecology. During the First World War, Margaret Fairlie served with the Scottish Women’s Hospital at Royaumont as an orderly. Her time at Royaumont was short, serving from December 1914-March 1915. Fairlie never married, although she was engaged to her colleague, the eminent surgeon Professor Lloyd Turton Price at the time of his unexpected death in 1933. She was a popular figure with the students and staff she worked with and was noted for her warm hospitality.Professor Fairlie was a keen traveller visiting several countries including South Africa, Greece, Italy, Canada and the United States of America. In her spare time she cultivated her garden and she enjoyed painting. She also kept a parrot.

In July 1963 Fairlie was visiting her sister when she took ill. On her return to Scotland she was admitted to Dundee Royal Infirmary, but died shortly afterwards.

Mary Mitchelina Grant Ferguson

Date of Bith: 1892
Place of Birth: Norfolk

Mary was born in Mitford Norfolk but by 1901 had moved with the family to Pirn Farm, Innerleithen, Mary’s father John Grant Ferguson was a minster for the church of England. John was born in Edinburgh. We know Mary was living in Edinburgh by 1915 and had qualified as a Doctor. On the 4th of September 1917 she signed up as a Doctor with the Scottish women’s Hospitals and headed to Corsica. The hospital at Corsica was opened on Christmas day 1915 as a rapid response to Serbian civilians retreating from Serbia, Serbia now under control of the Germans, Austrians and Bulgarians. Mary worked at the hospital in Ajaccio until November 1918. Most likely Mary return to the UK for a short break and in February 1919 she joined the SWH, American Unit who were working in Northern Greece at Lake Ostrovo. Their main objective was to support the 2nd Serbian Army who were fighting the Bulgarians in the Moglena mountains the bigger picture was to support a huge force of Serbians , French and British to reclaim Serbia and push back the Germans, Austrians and Bulgarians. The conditions were very hard going,Cases of malaria, gas gangrene, amputations all a common sight, at times quiet then hundreds of injured men pouring in, very hot in summer and cold in the winter and on the move as the front line moved back and forth. . By November 1918 the Serbs were on the march home and Mary moved to Vranje in Serbia working this time under Dr Isobel Emslie. The hospital at Vranje was a large ex army barracks and packed with hundreds of patients with a hole manner appalling conditions, pneumonia, pleurisy and serious surgical cases. Sadder still was one women’s account of the children ” the injuries are terrible, we have had several poor little hands to amputate and often they have terrible abdominal wounds”
Cold weather came to Vranje and with it typhus, sadly nurse Agnes Earl died while working at the hospital. Mary was called to perform miracles while operating, physical strength and grit were required along with the delicate of touches. And all the while risking there lives. She was described as keen and skillful. We know after the war Mary emigrated to Canada, she married Percival Ralph Hooper who also was in action during ww1. Mary continued working as a Doctor and retired to Victoria B.C Canada.

Photo above is of the hospital in Corsica.

Catherine, Maggie Findlay

Date of Bith: 1893
Place of Birth: Portlethen, Aberdeen.

Catherine lived at Glasslaw, Portlethen. Her father George was a Farmer and Dairyman. Her mother Helen had come from the area.
From May 1917- November 1917 Catherine worked as an assistant cook at the hospital at Ajaccio on the island of Corsica. The hospital was opened in the Villa Miot on Christmas morning 1915 under the command of Dr Blair. The primary function of the hospital was to support the thousands of Serbian Refugees streaming out of Serbia. A demanding roll feeding the staff, patients and many of the poor civilians that found there way to Corsica. In December 1917 Catherine joined the staff at Royaumont Abbey as a cook and worked at the hospital until June 1918.

Yvonne FitzRoy

Date of Bith: 1891
Place of Birth: London

Yvonne FitzRoy, born 17 Oct 1891 in London, was Sir Almeric FitzRoy’s only daughter.
Prewar, Yvonne was a colourful society lady. She was a theatre actress before the First World War. On August the 30th 1916 she joined the Scottish Women’s Hospitals as an orderly. The unit sailed from Liverpool aboard ” The Huntspill” a small boat described as being extremely unhygienic condition with a very drunken crew. The ship followed a zig zag course well into the Arctic Circle. At that time there was evidence of mines in the North Sea and The Channel. The greatest danger was from the highly mobile submarines . Germany had already sunk 51 merchant ships in July and early August. There was an attempt on board to study a language which could prove useful. They studied Russian and Serbian , Russian was the primary choice. 16 automobiles and a great deal of equipment were included in the cargo. After 9 days at sea the ship arrived at Archangel. Here grim news awaited them. The joint Serbian and Russian army fighting in Romania had lost many men. The Russian unit, mainly went out to support the Serbs who were fighting on that front, but assisted and administered medical where and when it was required. They were split into two field hospitals and Elsie worked principally in Odessa, Bubbul Mic, Medgidia, Galatz and Reni. The hospitals were during that period always on the move due to the intense fighting that took place in the region. The hospitals worked not only close to the front line but also between the lines. Witnessing two huge offensives that resulted in the loss of many lives, three retreats that cost the lives of many, many civilians and broke the hearts of many of the women. They also observed and at times were hindered by the uprisings and revolutions in Russia during 1917. After her return in June 1917 Yvonne published her diary “Scottish Nurses in the First World War: With the Scottish Nurses in Roumania” an excellent read for anyone interested in her and her travels during ww1. Yvonne post war lived at West Green House Hampshire alone, never marrying, until her own death in 1971.

Agnes Fletcher

Date of Bith: 1876
Place of Birth: Peterhead

Born in Peterhead , Aberdeenshire , Agnes was the daughter of Archibald Fletcher, a solicitor, her mother Agnes was from the Shetland Isles. Around 1882 her parents, their oldest son Stuart Archibald, and daughter Laura migrated to a town called Gore in the Southern Island of New Zealand. She was around seven when they migrated and she with 3 of her sisters remained behind. However difficult that was for her by the age of 25 she was working a nurse in the Perth Royal Infirmary.

In April 1915 Agnes took the decision to head to the front and joined the SWH as a nurse. She sailed to Salonika and by train reached the city of Kragujevac. The hospital at Kragujevac had been operational since early 1915 and had endured many awful days and weeks. Typhus, starvation, battle wounds and dysentery all contributed to the horrendous conditions the unit worked under. For Agnes at the time of her arriving the hospital was handling 400 cases a day, all emergency dressings. The Chief Commanding Officer for the unit was Dr Elsie Inglis. Elsie had also come to Serbia in April 1915 and touched the lives of many Serbians whom she treated and developed a strong reputation in the country. In October 1915, the SWH units in Serbia including Agnes had to evacuate from several of their locations as German and Austrian soldiers advanced. After evacuating once, Dr. Inglis refused to evacuate a second time and proceeded to remain to care for her patients in Krushevatz. When the German troops arrived, Inglis, Agnes and several other women with the SWH who had chosen to remain with the patients were taken as Prisoners of War. The women were released and returned to London on February 29, 1916.

Isabel Kelman Flett

Date of Bith: 1875
Place of Birth: Aberdeen

Born and raised in Aberdeen, Isabel’s father Alexander was a master baker the family resided at 81 Windmill Brae Aberdeen. In 1911 Isabel was working as a trained nurse at St Marylebone, London.
From August 1915 to August 1916 she worked at a nurse at Royaumont Abbey near Paris. The Scottish Women’s Hospital (SWH) unit was run from within an abandoned French abbey built by Louis IX in 1228. Over the next four years, the vaulted ceilings and decaying walls of these secluded cloisters in Royaumont, France, were transformed into a fully operational 400 bed hospital overseen by Dr Frances Ivens. Its wards, named after preeminent women such as Millicent Fawcett, Joan of Arc, and Elsie Inglis, were to see the coming and going of hundreds of severely wounded allied soldiers, many from across the French and British colonies. As well as pain, grief, and loss, its inhabitants were also to experience some fleeting moments of happiness and respite in the hospital that one unnamed patient described as ‘a great big family’. Over eleven thousand soldiers were treated for all manners of ghastly injuries and such was the success of the the hospital, only 159 men died. An astonishing feat of skill and compassion. Isabel was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory medal.

Elizabeth Forbes

Date of Bith: c1884
Place of Birth: Greenock

Elizabeth (Betty) Forbes MacPherson was born c1884 in Greenock.She was the daughter of Largs born father John MacPherson and Girvan born mother,Jessie.John was a Minister.
1891 Census show the family living at 46,Margaret Street,Greenock.
1901 Census shows Elizabeth,aged 17,living with her grandmother MacPherson at 468,Great Western Road,Partick .
Elizabeth married Charles McIntosh Bruce in 1925 at Greenock.

Betty joined the Scottish Women;s Hospitals in May 1916 as an Orderly and Storekeeper. Betty spent the entire war working at Royaumont Abbey near Paris, leaving right at the end of the hospital in February 1919. Betty was an Art Student before the war and with her co worker Dorothy Morgan dashed from place to place, bringing supplies to where they were needed. Like Dorothy she spent her spare time drawing and love to show the men and staff there sketches. Bettys sister Jean was one of the cooks at the Abbey. After the war Elizabeth married Charles McIntosh Bruce in 1925 at Greenock.

Maud Rachel Ford

Date of Bith: 1879
Place of Birth: Montrose

Maud spent much of her young life living in Montrose, Angus. Her father, John was a builder in the town and Maud lived in the family home with her Father, Mother and 3 brothers and sisters.

Maud joined the Scottish Womens Hospitals as a cook and headed to Kragujevac in war torn Serbia. The unit was the first SWH to arrive in Serbia and Maud’s roll as cook would be as equally as important as any other member of the unit. Kragulevac was battered not only by war but also a deadly typhus epidemic was sweeping the country leaving tens of thousands dead or fighting for their lives. Every inch of space was occupied and the hospital was busting at the seams. In the town the dead and sick were everywhere, sick and wounded gathered together, men who had gone amputations, men, women and children in the grip of typhus, dysentery and frostbite. Many of Serbia’s Doctors and nurses had succumbed to disease. The contribution these women made was astonishing, risking their lives for a people they barely new. In March 3 members of the unit died and in August Maud came home.
In August 1916 Maud joined Dr Elsie Inglis and headed to the Russian front with the London Unit. Again she went out as a cook, this time rather than working at a stationary hospital she cooked from a kitchen truck as the unit was constantly on the move. The Russian unit, mainly went out to support the Serbs who were fighting on that front, but assisted and administered medical where and when it was required. They were split into two field hospitals and Maud worked principally in Odessa, Galatz and Reni. The hospitals worked not only close to the front line but also between the lines. Witnessing two huge offensives that resulted in the loss of many lives, three retreats that cost the lives of many, many civilians and broke the hearts of many of the women. They also observed and at times were hindered by the uprisings and revolutions of 1917. Maud returned home with the unit in November 1917.

In 1921 she married John F Rennie in her home town. However by 1922 she was widowed and headed out to Los Angeles, USA to visit a friend. In the 1930 she had remarried to a Bryant McDonald and were living in Los Angeles, Maud was a nurse by this time. Maud died 25 November 1943 in San Bernardine.

Margaret Stuart Fowler

Date of Bith: 1884
Place of Birth: Aberdeen

Margaret Stuart Fowler was born 2/10/1884 at Ardenville,Woodside,Old Machar,Aberdeen.
She was the daughter of Skene born,General Practitioner James Elsmie Fowler and Peterculter born,Margaret Stuart Lyons.
In 1891,the family were living at Ardenville,where six years old,Margaret was living with her parents and 2 siblings,James and Christine.
Records show that Margaret’s maternal grandfather,William Lyon,was also a Medical Practitioner.

Margaret Stuart Fowler was born 2/10/1884 at Ardenville,Woodside,Old Machar,Aberdeen.
In August 1916 Margaret joined the SWH as a nurse, she joined what was know as the American Unit. The unit got its name after Kathleen Burke had went to America and raised huge sums of money. Margaret joined the Scottish Women’s Hospitals on the 4 th of August and boarded the HM Hospital ship ” Dunluce Castle” in Southampton and set sail for Salonika( Thessaloniki) in Greece .Margaret was stationed in Salonika for the first 2 weeks and then moved to the 200 bed hospital at Lake Ostrovo( now part of Macedonia) and whose chief medical officer was Dr Agnes Bennett. The units job was to support the Serbian Army who at the time were trying to take the mountains of Kajmakcalan.. At Ostrovo the enemy was not the Austrians but their ally Bulgaria.From 1916-1917 she would have worked often at times day and night and all under canvas. The conditions were very hard going, Cases of malaria, gas gangrene, amputations all a common sight. The hospital which was under canvas was also frequently under attack from bombings.
Margaret returned home for a short time but returned in July 1919 with the Girton and Newnham unit where she worked in Belgrade Serbia as a driver till December 1919. Margaret married Serb Major Dushan Hitch In 1925.

Stella Miles Franklin

Date of Bith: 1879
Place of Birth: Australia

Stella Miles Franklin, a writer and a feminist and the Scottish Women’s Hospital at the Salonika Front

The Scottish Women’s Hospitals for Foreign Service, established by Dr Elsie Maud Inglis (1864-1917), with the support of the Federation of Scottish Suffrage Society, achieved international importance during the Great War. The SWH Units were working in France, Malta, Serbia, Corsica, Salonika, Romania and Russia. Their promotions were spread to all the continents, and many far away places. Among the members from one of those far away places was Stella Miles Franklin, an Australian writer and a feminist.
Stella Miles Franklin (1879-1954) was born at Talbingo, New South Wales in Australia. She started her career with “My Brilliant Career”, published in 1901. The book was used for the film “My Brilliant Career”, which won several international awards. She also published: Some Everyday Folk and Dawn (1909), Old Blastus of Bandicoot (1931), Bring the Monkey (1933), All that Swagger (1936), My Career Goes Bung (1946). Under the pseudonym of “Brent of Bin Bin” she wrote and published: Up the Country (1928), Ten Creeks Run (1930), Back to Bool Bool (1931), Prelude to Waking (1950), Cockatoos (1955), Gentleman at Gyang Gyang (1956). Stella Miles Franklin was a correspondent for ‘The Daily Telegraph’ and ‘The Sydney Morning Herald’, and other newspapers and magazines. In her will she made a provision for establishment of an annual literary award known as The Miles Franklin Literary Award, which is still, after 57 years, a major literary award in Australia. The first winner of the Miles Franklin Award, in 1957, was Patrick White, later the first Australian Nobel Prize writer.
Miles Franklin was an orderly in the Scottish Women’s Hospital, “America Unit”, from July 1917 to February 1918. The hospital was located on the shores of Lake Ostrovo (now Vegoritis), and at the foot of Mt. Kaimakchalan, about three miles north of the railway station in the village of Ostrovo (now Arnissa), and about halfway between Edessa and Florina. The Unit was under the command of Dr. Agnes Bennett (1872-1960), an Australian physician, who completed her medical studies at the College of Medicine for Women, University of Edinburgh (M.B., Ch.M., 1899). The SWH Field Hospital in Ostrovo followed the Third Serbian Army, was completely staffed by women, and included the first graduate women doctors, trained nurses, hospital orderlies, and even women ambulance drivers, who came from different countries. The field hospital with 200 beds, consisted of twenty rows of tents, arrived at the Salonika Front in August 1916. It soon started its operation with the intention to be a surgical hospital (160 beds for surgery and 40 beds for recuperation), but with an increase in cases of malaria, they also accepted the malaria patients. It contained: a surgery, hospital wards, x-ray, bacteriological laboratory, out-patient department, reception, with all accompanying services such as a storage for medical supplies, kitchen and laundry.
Out of 60 women on the staff there were five women doctors – Dr. Agnes Bennett, Dr. Lilian Cooper, Dr. Anna Leila Muncaster, Dr. Sybil Lonie Lewis, Dr. Jessie Ann Scott, and one Serbian doctor Dr. Chedomir Djurdjevich, a medical student, Uros Ruzitchich, 20 qualified nurses, women nursing aides, and Serbian male orderlies. Miss Maud Ellen Tate was the Head Nurse (Matron), while Miss Florence Jack was the Hospital Administrator. The hospital staff came from Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales, and as far as from Australia and New Zealand.

The complete hospital arrived from England by ship, including Dr. Jessie Ann Scott (1883-1959), from New Zealand, who completed her medical studies in Scotland (Edinburgh, 1912). At the same time, Dr. Lillian Cooper (1861-1947) and Mary Josephine Bedford (1861-1955) sailed into Salonika via the Suez Canal, by ship from Adelaide in Australia. Dr. Inglis had full confidence in Dr. Bennett, who used to be her student, because of her previous medical experience in military hospitals in Cairo, where she treated the injured from Gallipoli.
Among the many women’s associations Stella Miles Franklin chose: “the famous Scottish Women’s Hospitals, appeared to me the most, engineered by evolved women and occupied with intensely human service among different nations”. Despite terrific heat, numerous insects, mosquitos, and even snakes, the amity in the camp created a friendly atmosphere during the wartime, and encouraged Stella to write:
“The little camp was pretty as a picture, its white tents sheltering a community of over three hundred souls, nestled among the near hills in a sheltered basin, under aged and shady trees. The trees gave a sense of benediction and princely wealth in that improvident old land, denuded of its trees” (Gilchrist, Hugh – Australians and Greeks, Australia, 1997.)
“There was a delightful spirit of sisterhood in our camp. We were not called upon to flap our wings in salutes not to act in any irritating way in the presence of our chiefs… Our field hospital was a national and international combination, which might have been assembled especially for my happiness… We had most amiable Administrators, the most capable of Matrons, the most distinguished of COs, the most versatile of Secretaries, and by and large, the best of units.” (Franklin, Stella Miles, It Matters Nothing, the Mitchell Library, Sydney)
After the Great Serbian Retreat through the Albanian mountains during the winter of 1915/16, and the great loss of lives, the Serbian army reorganized and recovered at the Salonika and other sites. Although the Serbs were in exile, they organized their schools, theatre and the Royal Orchestra at the Salonika and other places. Stella Miles Franklin wrote a piece “Somewhere in the Balkans” and two manuscripts dedicated to the Serbs: “By Far Kaimakchalan” and “It Matters Nothing – Six months with the Serbs”. The manuscripts have never been published, but are well kept with large collections of books and personal correspondence that Franklin left to the Mitchell Library, of the State Library of NSW, in Sydney.
While the first manuscript dealt with the absurdities of war, which takes away so many young lives, the second is in a form of a theatrical script that was to be performed at the hospital theatre at the Salonika Front.
As Hugh Gilchrist said: “Her interest and sympathy were largely reserved for the Serbs, whose national miseries saddened her and whose physical beauty and gracious dignity captivated her completely.” (Gilchrist, Hugh, Miles Franklin in Macedonia, ‘Quadrant’, 1982). She appreciated the life of the Serbian women, who stayed in the occupied country with their children and old parents, not knowing for their husbands and brothers for more that three years. So she wrote “the Serbian women must be great to produce such sensitive, affectionate, men”.
In a large number of Franklin’s stories there is one about her experience with a dentist at the Salonika Front. “A Dentist in Macedonia”, was inspired by her visit to a Serbian dental surgery in Vodena. She was pleased with the Serbian dentist, Dr. Milan Petrovich, who was working at the dental station that was operating within the Serbian Rehabilitation Centre in Vodena (now Edessa), near Ostrovo.

Slavica P. Filipovich,
8 May 2014.

Lily Elizabeth Fraser

Date of Bith: 1893
Place of Birth: Shropshire

Lilly Elizabeth Fraser b 1893 in Oswestry,Shropshire to a Scottish father,Donald Fraser, and Welsh born mother Mary Ellen Williams was form Borth in Ceredigion (near Aberystwyth).
1901 Census of Wales has the family living in Elan Village,Llanwrthyl,Brecon County.Lily was seven years old and her father was employed as a Railway Engine Fitter.
1911 census shows that the family have moved from Wales to Salford,Lancashire.Lilly is employed as a Blouse Maker and the family remained in Salford until,at least the 1940’s,as her father died there in 1941.

On the 12th of September 1915 Lily Fraser embarked onto the hospital ship The Oxfordshire at Southampton , HMHS Oxfordshire was the first ship to be requisitioned for war service and by the end of WW1 transported over 50,000 wounded men to safety, the highest number for any hospital ship during WW1.
Lily signed up as a cook for the London/Welsh unit, so called due to large amount of donations from those locations. Her assignment was to head to Valjevo in Serbia and support the existing hospital under the command of Dr Alice Hutchinson.
The journey was fraught with dangers, submarines, mines and overhead, Zeppelins all had in the past destroyed various ships. The journey took around 2 weeks, sailing from Southampton passing the Bay of Biscay, through the Straits of Gibraltar, the Mediterranean sea, the Aegean sea and into the port at Salonkia (Thessaloniki). Then a few more day’s travel by train to Valjevo.

Valjevo, a town some 80 miles south of Belgrade had that winter gone through its own personal hell. Thousands of its citizens and thousands of soldiers had perished in a typhus outbreak that was destroying huge parts of Serbia. Valjevo had itself been turned into one large field hospital and many, many men lay wounded and untreated due to the lack of Doctors and nurses.The unit worked completely under canvas on a hillside just outside the town and although it was an improving picture by the time they reached there, there was still plenty of work to do. Dr Alice Hutchinson and her unit are fondly remembered today in Valjevo for their bravery and helping to bring stability to the towns people. Unfortunately for Lily and her party they had got there too late, as a few days after arriving Belgrade had fallen and Serbia was forced into retreat, Dr Alice Hutchinson’s unit refused to leave Serbia and Lily worked for short spells at Vrinjacka Banja and Krushevac where they organized dressing hospitals. They were eventually taken as prisoners of war, Alice was continually harassing her Austrian officials and with 32 other women were sent out of Serbia to a camp in Hungary. Lily’s skills as cook over the next few months would have been severely tested due to the lack of food and firewood. Extremely cold, hungery and with nothing to do the women kept there spirits up playing games, badgering and pecking away at there captors until they were sent home via Germany, Austria and Switzerland. On the 12th of February they arrived back in the UK and received a heroines welcome in London.

Madge Neill Fraser

Date of Bith: 1880
Place of Birth: Edinburgh

Margaret Neill Fraser was born 4/6/1880 at “Rockville”,Murrayfield,Edinburgh.
She was the daughter of Edinburgh born Patrick Neill Fraser and Glaswegian Margaret Watson. Her father was a Letterpress Printer at her time of birth.
The Census Returns for 1881,1891 and 1911 show that she was living at “Rockville”,Glasgow Road,Edinburgh. In 1911,Margaret aka Madge was living with her widowed mother and her brother.She was aged 30 years and was living by Private Means.
Madge held certificates in First Aid and Sick Nursing from St Andrews Ambulance Association and when she joined the SWH, she caused great publicity as she was the Captain of the Scottish Ladies Golf team.

Madge Neill Fraser, joined the Scottish Womens Hospitals as a nurse on the 1st of December 1914, she could never have imaged all the horrors and battles that would lay ahead. Madge with her unit of 40, boarded the ship at Southampton on the 1st of December 1914 and headed for Serbia via Salonika. At the time of crossing the mission looked bleak as large parts of Serbia including Belgrade had fallen into enemy hands. But on arrival at Salonika they were greeted and uplifted by the tremendous news that Serbia had been victorious in the battle of the ridges and despite heavy losses and an epidemic of typhus had pushed the Austrian/Hungarian troops out of Serbia, the first allied victory in WW1.
At Salonika Madge with her unit headed by train for Kragujevac a military key point near Belgrade. The unit arrived on the 6th of January and was geared for a 100 beds but immediately had to admit 250 patients and soon after 650. Madge and the unit worked around the clock trying to save as many lives as possible. The magnitude of the disaster was everywhere, thousands of men and civilians were scattered in buildings all over the town. Kragujevac was really one large hospital. Broken limbs, gangrene, frostbite and open infected wounds were just some of the conditions endured by the men. Many lay dying with no medical help. Unfortunately things were set to get worse with the outbreak of typhus, and by February 1915 Serbia was in the grip of a huge epidemic.
Only 3 month after her arrival Madge also came down with typhus and on the 8th of March 1915 Madge died at Kragujevac. She was a very popular lady and without any hesitation put here life at risk to save others. Her last words were “Long live Serbia, the pluckiest country in the world, and the most misunderstood, she may die where she stands, but she will never give in, and she is to proud to moan about it, there is never a word of complaint, never a question of surrender, she is sad in her songs and in her songs alone”
By all accounts an incredible lady. Before she joined the war, Madge was an excellent golfer and played and captained, not only for Scotland but also Great Britain. She was so well liked in the world of golf that a letter was written from her club at Murrayfield, Edinburgh and sent to every golf club in the UK and beyond and over £3000 was raised. A huge sum of money in 1915.
Today she is buried at the Military Cemetery, Nis, Serbia

Showing 12 Result(s)